THE MOSQUES OF EGYPT
4.THE AIYUBID PERIOD, 567- 648H.(1171- 1250 A.D.) .
12- THE MAUSOLEUM OF SULTAN AS- SALIH NEGM AD- DIN 647/48H. (1249/50) . THIS MAUSOLEUM is in contact with the northern end of as- Salihiya Madrasa, opposite the Madrasa of al- Mansur Qala'un. It was built in 647H. (1250) , by order of Queen Shagaret ad- Durr, as a mausoleum for her husband al- Malik as- Salih Negm ad- Din Aiyub. It has a simple treatment both internally and externally. Its faade, which projects beyond that of the madrasa, is divided into panels, and crowned with a serrated cresting. The dome rests on a zone of transition, with three windows in each of its four main sides. There are four more windows in the springing of the dome. A most important feature in this mausoleum is the marked development of the pendentives, which differ from Fatimid ones, the number of tiers of stalactites being three instead of two. Another feature, is the application of gilt glass mosaic (Fusayfisa') , still existing, in the decoration of the mihrab hood, which occurs here for the first time in Egypt. Although gilt glass mosaic had previously been widely used as the principal decorartive material in numerous Muslim monuments in the East, such as the Dome of the Rock, the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem and the great Ummayyad Mosque in Damascus, yet its application in Egypt has been limited to a small number of mihrabs. The woodwork of the mausoleum that has survived, comprises the following:. 1 - The door with its panels, engraved in fine relief,. 2 - The window shutters and doors of the cupboards,. 3 - The cenotaph, centrally placed, and engraved with ornament and beautiful Kufic inscriptions,. 4 - A wooden band which ran round the four sides of the square base of the dome, and which has traces of verses from the Qur'an. Plate 36.