THE MOSQUES OF EGYPT
5.THE MAMLUK PERIOD, 648 - 923H. (1250- 1517 A.D.) .
18- THE MAUSOLEUM OF HASAN SADAQA 715H.(1315) . THIS MAUSOLEUM, which is in shari' as- Suyufiya, was part of the Sa'diya Madrasa built by Shams ad- Din Sunqur as- Sa 'di, one of the Amirs of Sultan an- Nasir Muhammad, in 715H. (1315) . It has been given its present popular name because Shaykh Hasan Sadaqa was also buried in it. Of this madrasa only the entrance, the mausoleum and the minaret remain. The entrance bay, which is placed at the north end of the faade, has a stalactite hood of three tiers surmounted by a small pointed semi- dome. The actual entrance has a joggled lintel, inlaid with red and white marble and enclosed in an arabesque frame. Above it is a window, flanked on either side by three small marble small columns and surmounted by a stalactite hood. At the top of the faade, above the entrance, is some fine pierced stucco ornament, similar to that on the drum and substructure of the dome which forms such an outstanding feature of the monument. In the faade to the right of the entrance are two windows set in recesses with stalactite tops. The windows have joggled lintels, decorated with geometrical ornament, and relieving arches above. The mausoleum has two fine calligraphic friezes in stucco. One, half way up, runs all round, rising in the centre of the qibla wall to frame the arch of the otherwise plain mihrab. It is entirely Qur'anic except for the date 721, written in figures. The second band of inscription forms a frieze which runs all round immediately below the zone of transition. Under the dome is a cenotaph, with the name of the founder Sunqur as- Sa'di and the date 715H., and another belonging to Hasan Sadaqa from which the building has taken its popular name. The pendentives are composed of three tiers of stalactites each of five niches, the centre niche of the top row being pierced right through so as to form a window. Between the pendentives are tall windows of three lights each, some of which still have stucco grilles. Externally, these windows are set in frames formed by a pointed horse- shoe arch resting on two columns decorated with very elaborate stucco ornament; each spandrel is occupied by a fine stucco medallion. The part which comes behind the stalactite pendentives is chamfered off externally in two stages, the upper one forming an octagon, which is also decorated with stucco medallions. Round the base of the dome is a magnificent band of stucco ornament, consisting of twenty- four keel- arched panels, eight of which frame windows; the rest are decorated with geometrical ornament, whereas the spandrels are filled with arabesque. The whole is surmounted by a calligraphic frieze. The minaret, which is placed to the left of the entrance, conforms to the style of the period. It consists of a square shaft, the sides of which are decorated with keel- arched recesses; it is surmounted by the remains of a wooden balcony for the mu'adhdhin. Above this is an octagonal shaft with eight narrow openings set in recesses with fluted keel- arched heads. Then come two very elaborate stalactite cornices and a tall fluted cap. Plates 54- 55.