THE MOSQUES OF EGYPT
6.THE OTTOMAN PERIOD, 923 - 1220H. (1517- 1805 A.D.).
47- THE MOSQUE OF AL- MAHMUDIYA 975H.(1567) . THIS MOSQUE is situated in Muhammad 'Ali Square, to the left when ascending to the Citadel. It was founded in 975H. (1567) by Mahmud Pasha, Governor of Egypt under the Ottoman Empire. Its four sides are free and it stands on a higher level than that of the road. It has two entrances, one in the centre of the northern faade, the other in the centre of the southern one. Both are reached by a flight of steps. The windows are arranged in pairs set one above the other in tall shallow recesses with stalactite heads. The minaret, in conformity with the Ottoman style, is a tall cylindrical shaft; it is decorated with tall shallow panels in relief, and rests on a tall cylindrical base. It has one gallery, supported by many tiers of stalactites, and ends with a conical top. Like that of the Mosque of Sultan Hasan, it is placed at the south- eastern corner. The mosque forms a square measuring 19.80 m. a side, in the centre of which are four huge granite columns supporting four arches, on which rests the roof of the central part of the mosque, which is higher than the rest. There is a stone mihrab in the centre of the eastern wall, and next to it is a wooden minbar. On the left is a door leading to a small square room, projecting from the qibla wall, and covered by a high dome. The position of the mausoleum behind the mihrab is an unusual feature, copied from a similar arrangement in the Mosque of Sultan Hasan. All the ceilings are of wood, decorated with beautiful coloured and gilt ornament, surrounded by a band of inscription containing Qur'anic verses, the name of the founder and the date of completion, 975H. The light comes through pierced stucco windows, filled with coloured glass. This mosque has undergone several repairs, the last of which was that ordered by H. M. King Farouk I; it comprised the reinforcement of its arches and the repair of the ceiling, and was completed in 1940. Plate 157.