THE MOSQUES OF EGYPT
7.MUHAMMAD 'ALI PERIOD, 1220 - 1265H. (1805- 1848 A.D.).
54- THE MOSQUE OF SULAYMAN AGHA AS- SILAHDAR 1253- 1255H.(1837- 1839) . THIS MOSQUE is situated at Shari' al- Mu'izz li- Din Illah, to the left on the way to Bab al- Futuh. It was founded by the Amir Sulayman Agha as- Silahdar, during the reign of the late Muhammad 'Ali Pasha al- Kabir, in 1253H. (1837) and completed in 1255H. (1839). It is built in the pure Ottoman style. A school and a sabil are annexed to it. The main faade which overlooks Shari' al- Mu'izz li- Din Illah comprises the faades of the mosque, the school, and the sabil. At the southern end is a large gateway which forms the entrance to the Haret Bargawan. The whole fade is built of stone; it has a wooden awning at the top, with ornament that stands out in relief. The sabil's faade is lined with white marble, carved with decoration and inscription. Its windows have cast bronze grilles. The minaret, like other Ottoman minarets, is cylindrical and has one gallery; it ends with a conical top. The entrance opens into a corridor, where a flight of steps leads up to a covered sahn with a sky- light in the middle. The sahn is surrounded by four riwaqs, the arches of which are supported on marble columns. In the middle of the eastern side of the sahn is a door leading to the sanctuary, which is square. Its roof is supported on two arcades each of which is composed of three arches, resting on two marble columns. The mihrab is of white marble, and next to it stands a simple wooden minbar. Opposite the qibla wall is a dikka, in the form of a wooden gallery. Plate 179.