THE MOSQUES OF EGYPT
8.THE MODERN PERIOD .
62- THE MOSQUE OF AL- FULI (AT MINIA) . THE whole population of Minia pays great reverence to the memory of Shaykh al- Fuli owing to his piety and good deeds. The whole city was once called after him, i.e. Miniat al- Fuli. No wonder, therefore, that the visitors became too numerous for the mosque to receive them at the time of prayer. The Ministry of Waqfs decided on the rebuilding and enlarging of this mosque. A scheme was prepared and work started in 1364H. (1945). It was completed in 1365H. (1946) , the total cost being L.E. 42,000. The mosque occupies a remarkable site by the Nile, next to a large public garden. It is built parallel to the Nile, and forms a rectangle that runs from north to south and measures 61.00x18.00 metres. The external height of its walls is 12 metres, the internal height 9.20 m. The minaret, including the crescent on top, measures 38.00 metres in height. The floor is 1.50 m. above street level. The walls are built of red brick, faced externally with artificial stone, and the roof is of reinforced concrete; the stairs and floors are paved with mosaic. The mihrab and the lower part of the internal walls, to a height of 1.20 m. are lined with mosaic, decorated with polychrome arabesque. The columns are of reinforced concrete, faced with mosiac. The main doors of the mosque and mausoleum are made of wood in Arabic style, with simple panelling on one side and fine arabesque of pierced brass on the other. The windows are of wood, turned in a fashion known as sahrigi. The mausoleum has windows of pierced stucco, decorated with coloured glass, The minbar and kursi are made of joined wood, with beech panels, in geometrical decorative forms. The minaret has a square lower storey surmounted by the mu'adhdhin's gallery, and another square storey, ending with a wooden awning, covered with red tiles. On top is a pavilion on columns, supporting the cap and crescent. The main entrance is a rectangular hall, the faade of which is formed of three arches, supported on two columns. It has sloping eaves, covered with green tiles. The door of the mosque lies on the axis of the central arch, and in the axes of the flanking arches are two windows of sahrigi turning. The stairs of this entrance are paved with mosaic. The interior of the mosque is square. In the centre are four piers, each of which is composed of four columns; they support four arches. The columns are of the Arabic order. The piers are braced to the walls of the mosque by means of beams, supported by fan- shaped brackets. A special iwan for the qibla projects from the south- eastern side of the mosque; it has two side doors leading to the place of ablution and the lavatories. In the wall facing the qibla are three doors, the central of which opens into an unroofed sahn, flanked by two riwaqs, with arches supported on columns. At the other side of the sahn is the Mausoleum of Shaykh al- Fuli. Plates 202- 206.